This article covers everything you need to know about International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) for Canada immigration
|Canadian Universities With High Acceptance Rate||APPLY NOW|
|Tuition Free Universities in Canada||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Study Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Work Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Holiday Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Move to Canada With Family||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Express Entry||APPLY NOW|
What you’ll learn:
- How do I get an IQAS certificate?
- How much does the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) cost in 2021?
- How long is IQAS valid for?
- And lots more…
So if you want to learn more about the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS), then you’ll love this guide.
Let’s dive right in!
International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) Brief Overview
The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) is an Alberta governmental service that was set up to assist immigrants to Canada to get recognition for any completed or awarded formal education and technical academic credentials attained outside of Canada.
It is one of the few Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) for Canadian immigration amongst the others:
Certificates issued by the IQAS are used to relate academic credentials from other countries to the educational standards in Canada.
The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) education guide breaks down how international education credentials are compared to that of Canada’s educational standards.
IQAS assessment programs can be in the following forms:
- General IQAS assessment for immigrants
- IQAS assessment for employment, schooling or licensure
- IQAS assessment for organizations
In Canada, most jobs are regulated, and these kinds of jobs have certain legal requirements or restrictions that help to protect the public. Thus, to work in these kinds of organizations, you’ll need to register with the necessary professional regulatory body.
Getting an IQAS assessment here goes a long way in improving your search for good-paying jobs on arriving in Canada, and also to support your application for university education and professional licensure.
How Do I Get an IQAS Cerificate?
The following steps should be taken when applying for an IQAS certificate:
- Choose your desired credentials to be assessed
- Organize all necessary documents
- Submit your verifiable or original transcripts
- Complete your online application
The above steps can be broken down thus:
Step #1: Make a Thorough Research
Today’s guide has already settled most of step #1.
Step #1 to learning how to get an IQAS certificate involves first understanding what the International Assessment Service (IQAS) is all about. This also includes how much it costs to get an IQAS certificate for a single applicant, and the cost for more than one applicant.
Do they have refund policies? And are there exceptions for specific professions?
>> How much does the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) cost in 2021?
The application fee for a single applicant for an IQAS certificate costs a total of $200, and this fee doesn’t come with any additional charge for having more than one of your credentials assessed.
After processing, your IQAS certificate will be shipped down to you for a $15 delivery fee for those based in Canada already, and $75 if based abroad.
No two people can apply at once for an IQAS certificate, every applicant must apply individually and pay separately for their application and shipping fees – and it doesn’t matter if both two people live in the same household.
>> How can I get a refund on my IQAS assessment?
All payments made for an IQAS certificate are non-refundable, and this includes shipping fees too.
This is very important to clear out because an IQAS certificate does not guarantee you:
- a job
- an approval on your immigration application
- certified licence to practise your profession in Canada
And most individuals may send out queries, asking for refunds when one of the above goes sideways.
>> Exceptions for specific professions
The following professions are exempted as they require other forms of assessment than that of the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS):
Step #2: Choose Your Desired Credentials to be Assessed
This includes both credentials that the International Qualifications Assessment Service can assess and those that you need assessed.
The IQAS requirement for having your credentials assessed include:
- Government-issued form of identification (most preferable, your passport)
- All credientials submitted must be academically related. The IQAS does not assess non-academic credentials such as a certificate gotten from an Excel or FIGMA training.
- The IQAS doesn’t evaluate any training you’ve received in trades or vocational (for instance, acertificate gotten from an iron smelting program), and professional industries (for example, certificate as a chartered account).
- All credentials submitted to the IQAS must have been attained from countries aside of Canada.
- All credentials submitted must be nothing below high school or secondary certification. The IQAS do not assess primary/elementary school level credentials
- All credentials submitted must be complete and properly authenticated from well-recognized institutions or programs.
- Proof of change of name (if case arises)
Thus, the above-stated requirements will help you decide on the necessary credentials to submit for assessment.
Note that, only your highest awarded or completed credential should be submitted for assessment. Submitting more than one credential for assessment will attract a longer time to process (at least 4 weeks longer than the normal processing time).
Step #3: Organize All Necessary Documents
It’s important to note the following when organizing your documents for the International Qualifications Assessment Service:
- Never submit original documents unless asked to
- All documents must be properly scanned and easily readable
- Name all submitted documents so they can be easily identifiable
- All submitted documents must be translated to English language.
Here’s a country-specific requirement that lists out all the necessary documents needed for your IQAS assessment. If your country is not listed here, see step #4.
Step #4: Submit Your Verifiable or Original Transcripts
Now, if your country is not listed in the list provided in step #4, you’ll need to submit your original or official transcripts for all credentials that you need assessed.
Transcripts can be submitted either via mail from an issuing authority or you, the applicant.
When submitting your transcripts via an issuing authority, both you and the issuing party must make use of the Request of Academic Records Form to properly organize the document and submit it directly to the IQAS.
But as discussed earlier, you can as well submit your transcripts directly via mail. All transcripts being submitted for assessment should be properly attested, dated, and placed in a sealed envelope, stamped with the institution or organization’s seal across the back flap.
And finally, make sure that your file number is clearly noted alongside your transcript for easy assessment.
Transcripts can also be submitted electronically to make them readily available online and sharable via secured websites.
Step #5: Complete Your Online Application
This is the final stage of applying for your International Qualifications Assessment Service assessment.
Completing your online application for the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) assessment involves:
- Setting up an account on the IQAS client portal
- Submitting the necessary documents to your client portal
- Payment of application fees. This can be done either with a VISA or MasterCard, American Express, Debit or Interac.
- Submitting your online application
Never use an international P.O. Box no. as part of your mailing address. This is because the delivery company will not deliver your IQAS certificate to that type of address!
You will get a follow-up email on completing your application.
This email will contain your IQAS file number which would be needed for your Requestion of Academic Records form. You’ll also get a final PDF format of your application and a payment receipt that confirms your order.
It’s important to print and keep your payment receipt for records-sake.
How long is the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) Valid for?
On completing and final processing of your International Qualifications Assessment Service assessment application, you will one of the following on your client portal:
Your ECA issued by the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) is valid for Express Entry for up to 5 years.
Now I’d Love to Hear from You:
What issues do you usually encounter when applying for an IQAS assessment? Let us know by leaving a comment below!