Canada is making it even easier for international students from certain Asian and African partner countries to become international students in Canada!
What is Student Direct Stream (SDS)
The Student Direct Stream program was launched by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in June 2018. The (SDS) is a study permit application stream with a faster process for international students who want to pursue higher education in Canada.
This program was developed by IRCC to support the rapid growth of international student applications.
Advantages of Canada’s Student Direct Stream
Canada’s Student Direct Stream, sometimes called SDS Canada, helps fast-track the processing of study permits surely international students. Most SDS applications are processed within 20 days.
Who Can Apply For Canada’s Student Direct Stream?
If you reside in one among the subsequent countries in Africa or Asia, you’ll be eligible to apply for a Canadian study permit through the Student Direct Stream:
- The Philippines
If an individual is a resident of another country (even if they’re a citizen of 1 of the countries listed above) then they need to apply through the regular study permit application process.
The Canadian government will begin processing your application once you’ve submitted your biometrics and shown that you simply meet all eligibility requirements.
Canada’s Student Direct Stream Cost
International students applying through SDS Canada are required to point out proof of full payment of the schooling for the primary year of their studies.
This might look like this:
- a receipt from the DLI
- a receipt from a bank showing that tuition fees are paid to the DLI
- a politician letter from the DLI confirming payment of tuition fees
Applicants must also submit a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
Requirements for SDS Canada
In order to be eligible for SDS, the person must be a resident of 1 of the countries listed above. Additionally, the person must have the subsequent required documents:
- Acceptance letter from a delegated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada
- An upfront medical checkup confirmation document
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 CAD
- Proof that tuition fees for the primary (first) year of study in Canada have already been paid
- Proof of graduation from a Canadian curriculum high school or a language test showing either:
- A score of a minimum of 6 in each category of the IELTS
- Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens score of a minimum of 7 for French
What is a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)?
A GIC is a Canadian investment that features a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. Many banks offer GICs. The bank that provides you the GIC must:
- confirm that you simply bought a GIC by supplying you with 1 of the following:
- a letter of attestation
- a GIC certificate
- an Investment Directions Confirmation or
- an Investment Balance Confirmation
- hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you simply can’t access until you arrive in Canada
- confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
Once you arrive in Canada, you’ll receive some of your GIC. The remainder are going to be paid to you subsequently over the next 10 to 12 months.
If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the scholar Direct Stream.
Where Can I Get a GIC?
You can get a GIC from a financial organization listed on the Canadian Deposit insurance firm website. confirm the financial organization you select offers a GIC and meets the standards for the scholar Direct Stream.
The following financial institutions offer GICs that meet the criteria:
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of China
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of Xian Co. Ltd.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
- Habib Canadian Bank
- HSBC Bank of Canada
- ICICI Bank
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- RBC Royal Bank
- SBI Canada Bank
Can My Family Accompany Me Through SDS Canada?
Yes. Your spouse, partner, and dependent children may accompany you once you apply through SDS Canada! They may even be eligible for faster processing times when submitting applications for work permits, study permits, or visitor visas. All relations must complete and submit their applications at an equivalent time. Once you apply online, indicate that you simply have relations coming with you to Canada. This allows you to complete their applications at an equivalent time as yours.
How to Apply to Canada’s Student Direct Stream (SDS)
The only means to apply for a study permit through SDS is online. This instruction guide can assist you to fill out the required forms.
You will also need:
- A scanner or camera to submit electronic copies of your documents
- A credit or open-end credit for the purpose of payment
Remember, a study permit isn’t a visa. you’ll still need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) so as to enter Canada. This may be issued to try to you by the federal government alongside your study permit.
Can I get Canadian permanent residence through SDS Canada?
Canada makes it easy for international students to become permanent residents if they need to stay within the country.
The Post-Graduate working papers allow international students to remain in Canada and work for up to 3 years after graduating. After working in Canada for one year, international graduates could also be eligible to use for permanent residency.