The Canadian government introduced Super Visas in 2011 to manage the excess of applications received from visitors who wished to stay in Canada for a longer period of time.
With an authenticity period of 10 years, the Super Visa is granted to eligible parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Unlike the regular visitor’s visa that permits someone to stay in Canada for less than six months, the Super Visa allows a stay of up to 2 years with the given choice to apply for an extension.
Canada’s famous free healthcare system doesn’t reach visitors from other countries, so having the proper emergency insurance is significant to making sure a visitor’s time in Canada is safe and worry-free.
With super visa insurance, visitors can enjoy Canada’s healthcare system without having to buy most medical appointments and procedures out of pocket.
In fact, having enough travel insurance may be a legal requirement for all super visa applicants.
The applicant will be required to provide evidence that they possess valid emergency medical insurance for a minimum of one year with minimum coverage of $100,000.
This requirement is to enclose visitors from potentially crippling health care costs in cases where they may require medical treatment in Canada.
Many insurers now provide super visa insurance, which may be a sort of travel policy, specifically created for super visa applicants.
It helps buy health care, prescribed drugs, hospital stays, and repatriation. Super visa insurance policies on average, provides the holder with $100,000 to $1 million in coverage.
Requirements for super visa health Insurance?
For an applicant to be considered eligible for a super visa, you must:
- be the parent or grandparent of an individual who is already a Canadian citizen or possesses the status of permanent residency in Canada.
- provide a signed letter from your child or grandchild who is inviting you to Canada. The signed letter must include:
- a promise of monetary support for the length of your visit
- the list and number of individuals within the household of this person
- a photocopy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- possess medical insurance from a Canadian insurance firm that is:
- valid for a minimum of 1 year from the date of entry
- a minimum of $100,000 coverage
- provide documented evidence that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
You must also:
- submit your application for a super visa from outside Canada
- be admissible into Canada
- take an immigration checkup
- meet certain other conditions
You can’t include dependants during this application.
Financial support (proof of funds)
The child or grandchild who is inviting you to Canada may be required to prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The under listed documents are samples of what is often used as proof of funds:
- Up-to-date Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the latest tax year
- Employment Insurance stubs
- Letter of employment including salary and date of hiring
- pay stubs
- bank statements
Other conditions that are considered
Several things are considered before a decision is made on if you can come to Canada. You have to be a real visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit.
Upon application for the super visa, all of these under listed things will be looked at:
- your ties to your home country
- the aim of your visit
- your family and finances
- in its entirety, the economic and political stability of your home country
At a minimum, your super visa policy must:
- Be valid for a minimum of one year from the time you arrive in Canada.
- Provide a minimum of $100,000 coverage.
- Cover emergency medical aid, hospitalization and repatriation.
- Be valid and available for review by an immigration official whenever you enter Canada.
How to apply for the Super Visa
- Get your documents ready
Before you apply for a super visa, you need:
- a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild who is already a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada that includes:
- a promise of monetary support for the duration of your visit
- a listed total number of persons within the household of this person
- a replica of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- a document to prove that your child or grandchild’s household meets the minimum necessary income.
Why you ought to apply online
- No courier fee to be paid or mail delivery time –your application is gotten the moment you submit.
- Online applications could also be processed more quickly.
- Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you. Applying online will give you the guarantee your application is complete because you can submit an incomplete application.
- If we’d like to invite more documents, you’ll quickly submit them online.
- You don’t need to submit your passport until it is requested for.
- Receive news on the progress of your application directly in your online account.
After your application for a Super Visa
Most applications for super visas are processed within a couple of weeks or less. Processing times vary on basis of the visa office.
After your application is submitted, it is processed and checked if you have all the needed documents for getting the super visa. In cases where the documents are incomplete, the application will be returned to the applicant unprocessed.
After your application, you may also be asked to do the following;
- Meet for an interview with our officials in your country
- to send more information
- get a medical checkup
- get a police certificate
Your passport and other original documents will be returned to you are your application has been processed. If original bank statements or any documents are discovered to be fake, they won’t be returned to you.
While You are allowed to apply online or on paper, your application for the super visa must be placed from outside Canada.
Once your application has been approved, the visa is going to be stamped inside your passport. If you’re from a visa-exempt country, you will be issued a letter to offer to a border services officer once you arrive in Canada.
If you pass by air, it is ideal for you to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) separately to permit you to visit and enter Canada.
The eTA is going to be electronically linked to your passport, so you have to travel with the passport you used in applying for your eTA, and your letter to facilitate your visit to Canada.
If you’re applying for a super visa, you will need super visa insurance. A super visa policy will make sure you have the minimum insurance coverage required by law so as for your application to be processed.
If you’re visiting family in Canada for fewer than six months, a visitor visa is more appropriate than a super visa. If this is often the case, consider Visitors to Canada insurance instead.