To prove that you’re qualified to work in a certain skilled trade in Canada, you are required to have a Certificate of Qualification (CoQ)from a Canadian Province. This certificate is also required to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (Express Entry).
|Canadian Universities With High Acceptance Rate||APPLY NOW|
|Tuition Free Universities in Canada||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Study Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Work Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Holiday Visa||APPLY NOW|
|Move to Canada With Family||APPLY NOW|
|Canada Express Entry||APPLY NOW|
This article explains everything you should know about a CoQ and how to obtain one from a Canadian Province.
Certificate of Qualification from a Canadian Province
A Certificate of Qualification is a Certificate required to work in regulated skilled trades in Canada. It is issued by a federal authority or the body in charge of trades in a Canadian province or territory.
To be issued this certificate, the regulatory body that oversees trade in a Canadian province or territory must evaluate your skills, training, and trade experience to know if you’re qualified to sit for the CoQ exam.
Different Skilled Trades in Canada that Require a Certificate of Qualification
You may be required to have a CoQ to work in the following occupations classified as skilled trades in Canada.
- Industrial, Electrical and construction trade.
- Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
- Chefs and cooks
- Butcher and bakers
Certificate Of Qualification Requirements
To get a CoQ, you must meet the following requirements.
- You must have a Certificate of Apprenticeship for your trade, or
- Your Trade Equivalency Assessment application must have been approved
- You may need to visit the specific province or territory to write the certification examination.
How to Apply for Certificate of Qualification from a Canadian Province
If you meet the aforementioned requirements, you are eligible to sit for the Certificate of Qualification exam. However, before taking the exams you’re required to:
- Pay a fee to the Ontario College of Trades.
- After which Ontario College of Trades will recommend an Exam Preparation guide which you’re expected to download and study. This will help prepare you for the exam
- When you are ready to write the exam, you need to schedule your exam through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. If you don’t have a scheduled time, you won’t be allowed to write the exam
Certificate of Qualification Exam
A Certificate of Qualification exam is a test for how competent and knowledgeable an individual is in tasks involved with the practice of a skilled trade.
The pass mark for this exam is 70 percent. If you pass the exam, you will be issued a CoQ from a Canadian Province.
While this test may be optional, it is mandatory to pass this test before you can legally practice some skilled trades in Canada.
Benefits of the Certificate of Qualification
Here are some of the benefits of obtaining the Certificate of Qualification.
- It shows you are qualified in your trade and have the required knowledge, skills and experience that meets Canada’s standard.
- Holders of the Certificate of Qualification have better job prospects, wages, mobility and advancement opportunities in Canada.
Certificate of Qualification Exam Format
The Certificate of Qualification Exam has between 90 to 150 multiple-choice questions. You are given a maximum of 4 hours to attempt all questions.
Some trades require a practical exam. In a practical exam, you will be asked to perform the skills of the trade-in front of an examiner rather than answering written questions
Certificate of Qualification Exam Preparation Tips
Usually, the college recommends an Exam Preparation Guide to help you prepare for your CoQ exam. In this guide, you will find useful information like tips for preparing for the exam, exam day tips, and self-assessment checklists.
Ensure you’re punctual for the exam. You will need to come with a government-issued photo ID to confirm your eligibility to write the Certificate of Qualification exam.
Writing materials like pencils, calculators, dictionaries, and codebooks will be given to you at the exam site. However, if you require a dictionary in a foreign language, you should contact the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities exam center prior to the exam day to confirm the availability of such.
After Writing the Certificate of Qualification Exam, What’s Next?
After writing the certificate of qualification exam, you will receive a mail containing your result within 10 business days.
If you pass the exam and meet some other requirements, you will be qualified to obtain a Certificate of Qualification and membership in the College’s Journey persons Class.
If you don’t pass the exam you can reschedule for another attempt after 15 days.
Let us know in the comments section below if you have questions about this article.