If you live in the U.S for a stipulated period of time without violating rules, you can apply for citizenship with a US Visa and other documents. If your application is approved, you will become a US citizen. This article will guide you on how you can successfully become a US citizen with a US Visa.
The United States has the largest immigrant population in the world with 44.9 million immigrants as of 2019.
US Citizens are entitled to a lot of privileges and power, no wonder many foreign nationals sacrifice so much to become US Citizens. If you were not born as a US Citizen, there are ways to become a US citizen as a Foreigner — one of which is citizenship through Naturalization.
Citizenship through Naturalization is the process by which a foreign national voluntarily becomes a US citizen after meeting certain requirements.
As a US immigrant Visa holder, you are generally eligible for naturalization after five years of being issued a US Immigrant Visa (green card). This is the most common way foreigners become U.S Citizens. In fact, an average of about 1,000,000 permanent residents applies for naturalization yearly.
However, to become a US citizen through naturalization doesn’t require only a US Immigrant Visa. There are other requirements you must meet before you can become a US Citizen.
How Can I Get a US Immigrant Visa?
Since having a US Immigrant Visa is a major prerequisite to becoming a US Citizen, let’s look at the steps to get a US Immigrant Visa.
To get an Immigrant Visa, follow the below steps.
- The first step in getting an Immigrant Visa is filing an Immigrant petition. In most cases, someone else must file the petition for you – it could be either your qualified relative or a potential employer at a USCIS office in the US.
- After filing a petition, you’ll have to wait until the petition is approved and a visa is available in your category.
- Now you can apply for an immigrant visa.
- You’ll be required to get a medical examination.
- Next, you will be invited for an interview at the consulate. Please ensure you go with your appointment letter.
- You’ll have to wait for the approval of your Application. If approved, you’ll be issued a US Immigrant Visa.
How To Become a US Citizen With a US Visa
To become a US citizen with a US Visa simply means that you have to acquire citizenship through Naturalization using an Immigrant Visa (green card).
Steps to Becoming a US Citizen through Naturalization
Before we look at these steps, there are certain requirements you must meet to be eligible to apply for citizenship through naturalization.
What are the requirements for citizenship through Naturalization?
- You must be at least 18years old
- You must be a US Immigrant Visa Holder for at least 5 years
- You must be a person with good moral values
- You must pass English, US history and civic tests.
- You must be willing to take an Oath of Allegiance
- You should be able to speak, read and write basic English.
If you meet the above-listed requirements, you can proceed to apply for citizenship through naturalization following the below steps.
1. Fill Form N-400 Application for Naturalization
This is the most tedious part of the process. The N-400 application is the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) lengthiest and most expensive application with 18 pages (this does not include the extensive supporting documentation).
You will be required to pay the fee of $640 in addition to the $85 biometric fee required for most applications. Ensure you complete the form correctly as incorrect completion could lead to rejection.
2. Citizenship Test and Interview
You will be required to pass English language and Civic tests. These tests are conducted orally.
The English Test
Here you will be required to speak, read and write basic English. An Immigration Officer will interview you and assess your speaking ability by how well you answer questions.
The reading section requires you to read aloud one of three sentences correctly. While the writing section requires you to write one out of three sentences correctly.
The Civics Test
Here you will be asked up to 10 questions by the USCIS officer. There are 100 questions on the naturalization test and you’re required to answer at least 6 questions correctly.
You can find the 100 questions and their answers on the USCIS website. It is important you go through these questions before your interview.
If you loved this content, do well to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get updates and engage with other people like you who wish to immigrate to Canada or just immigrated to Canada.