HomeUS VisaStudy and Exchange Visas - US Immigration

Study and Exchange Visas – US Immigration

The US gives several study and exchange visas so you can be able to apply for one and move to the US temporarily for your studies, exchange programs, or work experience.

The United States of America has always been known as a destination for international students. This is as a result of the quality of higher education and many chances of employment as you finish your degree.

Study and Exchange Visa Types

If you want to study in the US or join any educational exchange program, there are various types of visas that fall under the study and exchange visas category you can apply for. Some of the types are

F-1 visa

For you to get the F-1 visa, you have to first be enrolled in an approved school in the United States that is listed in SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program).

If your university application is done successfully, you will be registered in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). you are expected to receive the I-20 form from SEVIS, or you can’t apply for this visa.

M-1 visa

You can apply for the M-1 study visa if you are into any vocational studies which include, cooking, technical courses, flight training, cosmetology, for this visa, you have to enroll at an eligible institution in SEVP, so you can be registered in SEVIS and get your I-20 form.

J-1 visa

This is a two-year exchange visa you apply for only if you have applied for one of the acceptable programs in this category. you can also apply for a J-1 visa if you are to do short-term work, like work and holiday, or temporary scholar work.

Q-1 visa

A Q-1 visa is a cultural exchange visa, that gives you permission to work in the US and share your home culture and traditions with people in the US. To get a Q-1 visa you are to apply for a program managed by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

How to Apply for a Study and Exchange Visa?

For you to apply for study and exchange visas you are expected to follow these steps:

Apply for a study or exchange program

Before you go for any of the study and exchange visas, you have to first be enrolled either in a university or be a participant in an exchange program. Therefore apply for any program you want to do and then apply for your visa.

Fill in the visa application

For your study visa application, you are to fill the online application form DS-160 and get the confirmation page printed because you will need it for your documents.

Make an interview appointment

Applicants who are within the age range of 14 and 79 years have to attend the visa interview. The interview is to take place at the embassy where you applying and it is done by an official.

It is important for you to schedule your interview on time because of the workload that the embassy has. And when you schedule your interview a confirmation letter will be given to you and you are to bring it on the day of the interview.

Get your documents ready

When you want to go for your interview, you will have to submit some required documents, some of the documents that will be required are:

  • Application confirmation page
  • A valid passport
  • A visa photograph

Pay the visa fee

You are expected to pay a fee of about $160 before processing and going for your interview. And it is expected of you to come with your receipt while coming for your interview.

Attend your interview

When coming for your interview you are to bring the documents that are with you and be prepared for the question that you will be asked.

You will be asked questions about your study and exchange visa such as the purpose of the visa, what course will you be studying in the United States, if you have an intention of returning to your home country. Your answers should be very specific and straight to the point.

How Long Can I Stay In the USA With a Study and Exchange Visa?

With study and exchange visas, you can be allowed to stay in the US for one up to three years. moreso, the validity of your study visa is based on how long your program lasts- which implies that most of the time your visa is valid for the duration of your training or program.

know that an F-1 visa is mostly issued for a year even though your program is for two or three years, in some cases you have to apply for a visa renewal or extend your F-1 visa.

Bringing Family Members Under a USA Study and Exchange Visa

Your family members can come to the US if you have any of the study and exchange visas. normally, you can usually only bring your spouse and children but they will have to apply separately for one of the following visas:

Am I Allowed to Work With a US Study and Exchange Visa?

normally, you are permitted to work only on campus and during school part-time, you can also work full time during holidays. but, for some study visas, you have to request a special form that allows you to work, but even with that, you can only work with restrictions.

Can I Get a Permanent Residence With a Study and Exchange Visa?

One of the best ways to get a permanent residence visa from study and exchange visas is if you are to marry a US citizen, this is one of the most common ways. normally, you will have to apply for a fiance visa, and then, you can apply for your Green Card.

However, getting a permanent residence can be difficult depending on the type of study and exchange visa you have.

What if My Study and Exchange Visa Is Denied?

If you are denied any of the study and exchange visas because you are seen to be ineligible for a visa, then you may have applied for a waiver of the denial decision. If your ineligibility is temporary you can re-apply for the visa after you overcome your reason for the visa denial at the beginning.

If your visa was rejected as a result of permanent reasons of ineligibility, then you have to apply for the waiver.


You can now further your study well in the US and be rest assured that after following all the necessary requirements you can be there like everyone else after getting any of the study and exchange visas available.

Join us on Telegram

If you loved this content, do well to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get updates and engage with other people like you who wish to immigrate to Canada or just immigrated to Canada.

- Advertisement -

Worldwide News, Local News in London, Tips & Tricks

- Advertisement -

Do You Need a Job Abroad?

Join our mailing list to get the latest job vacancies and travel opportunities abroad.

You have Successfully Subscribed!