A B2 visa is a tourist visa, so if you’re thinking about wanting to chill and take a break from work and feel a vacation in the United States is what you need to recoup your depleted mental energy, then it is important for you to know the right way to go about it.
The B2 visa Is a tourist visa that gives you access to the United States for pleasure, tourism, or if you want to visit your family members or friend
Do I Need to Apply for a Tourist Visa Before Entering the USA?
For you to be able to apply for the tourist visa you should not be in the US Visa waiver program. but if you are in the waiver countries then you are in luck. You can just follow the various steps and procedure for applying for an ESTA and then make plans for you travel.
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for a Tourist Visa?
For you to be eligible for the US tourist visa, you purpose of your visit has to be one of the following:
- Have a holiday in the United States.
- Tour various cities in the United States.
- Visit friends or family.
- Participate in social events hosted by various organizations.
- Visit for medical treatment.
- Participate in events or contests related to music or sports, for which you will not receive payment.
- Enrol in short study courses for which you will not receive credit (ex. cooking classes).
If you don’t participate in any of these categories, then you should check out other types of Nonimmigrant Visa to know which one you qualify for.
How to Apply for a US Tourist Visa?
For you to apply, you have to go through these various steps:
Submit Form DS-160
For you to apply for any type of Nonimmigrant Visa you will have to fill the DS-160 form. A DS-160 form is an application form for all types of Nonimmigrant Visa including K visa
This form can be seen in the consular electronic Application center website where you have to fill it and then submit it online to the department of state. All information must be in English while filling the form.
Pay the application fees
The application fee for the US Tourist Visa is $160. Depending on your country’s relationship with the US, you might have to pay other fees too.
These are called visa issuance fees and they vary from country to country. After making the payments, you need to keep the receipts and attach them to your file of required documents.
Schedule your interview
Applicants who are within the age range of 14 and 79 years have to attend the visa interview. The interview is to take place at the embassy where you applying and it is done by an official.
It is important for you to schedule your interview on time because of the workload that the embassy has. And when you schedule your interview a confirmation letter will be given to you and you are to bring it on the day of the interview.
Compile your B2 Visa document file
You are expected to add the supporting documents to your document file when you are showing up in the United States embassy.
You are expected to bring it for your visa appointment interview.
Here are the required documents that you need to submit when applying for a B2 visa:
- Valid passport.
- A photograph
- Form DS-160 confirmation page and code.
- Receipt of paid visa fees.
- Interview confirmation page.
- A letter which describes the purpose of your trip.
- Proof of financial means.
- Ties to your home country.
- Optional US visitor visa invitation letter from friends or family in the US.
- Criminal records or letters from authorities saying that you do not have convictions in the past
- Documents relevant to your prior visits (This only applies if you have been to the US before).
- Transcripts or diploma (This only applies if you are a student).
- A letter from your employer and payslips for the last three months.
- Letters from doctors on your diagnosis and treatment. If you are coming for medical purposes.
- Social media details.
Attend the visa interview
When coming for your interview you are to bring the documents that are with you and be prepared for the question that you will be asked.
You will be asked questions about your business visa such as the purpose of the visa, what business will you be doing in the United States, if you have an intention of returning. Your answers should be very specific and straight to the point
How Long is the B2 Visa Processing Time?
The B2 visa takes about a few weeks or a few months to be processed, and the processing time differs from country to country. If you haven’t heard from the embassy you will have to have to be patient and wait to be informed if you have been given or not
B2 Visa Duration
The duration of stay on a B2 visa is 6 months. During that time, you can travel anywhere in the US or for any other purpose. However, as soon as your visa expires, you are expected to go back to your home country.
B2 Visa Extension
If you intend on staying longer, you can apply for a visa extension and you should do it at least 42 days before the expiration of your I-94 card.
You are to submit the following documents when applying for a B2 extension visa :
- Completed form I-539.
- Your valid passport.
- A written statement on the reason behind the requested extension.
- Evidence of financial support.
- Payment of the extension fee, which is $370.
- Original or photocopy of I-94 card.
- The extension processing time varies on the number of applications USCIS is processing at the time of your application.
Can I Get a Green Card With a US Tourist Visa?
It is very hard to get a permanent residence if you are a tourist in the US and since the B2 is a temporary Visa you need to prove that you will leave the United States when your visa expires for you to be able to get it.
Can My Parents Visit Me In the USA With a B2 Visa?
You are living in the United States, working or studying you can get your parents an invite to see you. they will have to have to follow some process, the only difference is that the requirements are a bit different and they àre :
- Completed DS-160 Form.
- Bank Verification Letter.
- Employment Verification
- Invitation Letter.
You are solely responsible for collecting so of the documents for your parents, they will also need to take some extras in their home country
It is advisable that the visiting parents should get an insurance plan that covers their entire stay in the United States
You can now go to the United States for relaxation and get your family members to join you in the vacation and maybe you want to proceed to get a permanent residence, there is a way for that.