It is important for you to know the difference between fake work papers and genuine identification and the techniques used for identifying fake work papers. As it can affect you while you are in need of a job
What is a work permit?
A work permit is a document that allows a person to work in a foreign country.
The system of using a work permit is very crucial in the element of the safety management system and the implementation of the ensure a good working environment.
Things you should do?
It is quite normal for a person who is not in the field to not know the difference between genuine and fake work papers. But you should take documents that are genuine and also relate to the person presenting them.
Except where it is very clear that the document is fake, and if they are not among the categories of acceptable documents. You are to use the same standards for reasonableness to all your new hires.
And if the document presented is the only one that is accepted and is also related to the new hire then you are good to go.
How to detect fake work papers
While hiring new employees, there are cases of fake work papers that may occur when the employee completes the 1-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form.
And a document is regarded valid and regarded genuine according to the Citizenship and immigration services when it falls under the list of acceptable documents, it includes the following.
List “A” documents
These are documents that establish both identity and employment authorization when an employee presents a valid List “A” document, there is no need to show any other identification document. And the documents under the “A” documents are:
- Passport or passport card
- Permanent resident card or alien registration receipt card
- Employment authorization document card
- Foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A with arrival-departure record and an endorsement to work
- Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of the Marshall Islands with Form I-94 or I-94A
- Foreign passport with a Form I-551 stamp or Form List “B” document: This document only shows the identity of the person. And if the employee showcases this document, then there is a need to seek for other documents which contains the authorization also
- Driver’s license
- ID card issued by a federal, state or local government entity (with a photograph) List “C” document: These are documented that shows employment authorization only.
List “B” document
This document only shows the identity of the person. And if the employee showcases this document, then there is a need to seek other documents which contain the authorization also. The documents needed in the “B” documents are:
- Driver’s license
- ID card issued by a federal, state or local government entity (with a photograph)
And If any employee presents a legal List “C” document, then it is also required of the employee to also bring a document that shows the employee’s identity.
- Social Security card
- Consular report of birth abroad (Form FS-240)
- Certification of birth abroad issued by the U.S. Department.
How to help employees catch fake identification
It is very difficult to detect fake work papers or identifications and employees are supposed to confirm identification quickly, and the following can aid guidance to how you can spot a fake Identity.
Fake ID cards have a unique signature of a pattern line that is across the card which creates a Web-like curve, and it can be seen with normal eyes.
There are holes that cut across the card which is created by a lazar beam in the process of image reproduction. And the holes can be see-through touch and UV light.
Fake work papers or identification tends to try and discretely overlap card data, and as such placing height or weight information over a signature or picture image. And it can be seen with the eyes.
The fakest identification is sealed with ultra-thin protective coating across the surface. The overlay can be detected with either a UV light or by slowly tilting the card to spot lamination.
In most cases, fake work papers like ID cards have some obvious tactile features, that is very different from the genuine document. Just by touch, you can analyze that uncharacteristic features such as decreased weight, flexibility. And also tilting it or seeing it with the naked eyes.
Watermarks of different types can be seen either when the card is tilted or with the use of UV light.
The wrong person
People sometimes will have genuine ID cards in their possession, but it’s not completely their own. Therefore be sure to check properly that the ID card photo matches with the person and they also carry the information as in the card.