The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is an immigration program through which a wide range of workers, graduates, and entrepreneurs are permitted to settle in Alberta permanently. The AINP is one of Canada’s Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).
Successful applicants to the AINP will receive a provincial nomination certificate. With this nomination, the applicant, including their accompanying relations, if applicable, may apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for Canadian permanent residence.
Alberta has been a hugely attractive destination for newcomers to Canada over recent years, with the government data from Canada’s most up-to-date census in 2016 showing that Alberta rivals British Columbia for the position of the second most sought-after immigration destination in Canada, after Ontario.
Alberta’s share of recent immigrants — defined as people that first obtained permanent resident status in Canada within the five years before a census — increased from 6.9 percent in 2001 to 17.1 percent in 2016.
Immigrants are attracted to Alberta for its wealth of job opportunities across the province and high living standards. The capital of the province, Edmonton, including the slightly larger Calgary and a number of smaller communities across the province, have experienced economic progress over recent years.
The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program offers five streams:
- the opportunity stream,
- the Express Entry Stream,
- the International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream,
- the Foreign Graduate Start-up Visa Stream, and
- the Self-Employed Farmer Stream.
The Opportunity Stream: This provides a pathway to Canadian permanent residence for foreign workers working in Alberta, who would require an employment offer from an employer in Alberta so as to be eligible.
The Express Entry Stream: Provides a pathway for Express Entry candidates who Alberta invites to use to the province. Candidates are invited through their Express Entry accounts with the precise selection criteria not available to the general public.
Express Entry: Candidates who receive a provincial nomination through an Express Entry-aligned stream receive 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points and an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence at a subsequent draw from the pool.
The International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream (IGEIS): This is for international students who have graduated from post-secondary institutions in Alberta and have the desire to immigrate to the province permanently by starting a business or purchasing an existing business.
The Foreign Graduate Start-up Visa Stream (FGSVS): This is for recent graduates from post-secondary institutions outside Canada who have an interest in starting new businesses and settling in Alberta.
The AINP also offers the Self-Employed Farmer stream for farmers who are experienced and have the demonstrated capacity needed to operate a farm in Alberta.
Four Top Tips When Applying for AINP
Like every other application, it pays to be as prepared as possible when it comes time to submit your AINP application. Having that in mind, here are four top tips that you simply should focus on:
- Read all the relevant AINP terms and conditions: the supply of AINP streams and categories depends upon application volumes and labour market needs. The standards for the AINP are routinely evaluated and are most likely bound to change at any time and without prior notice. So, confirm that you simply are as prepared as possible.
- Evaluate the AINP selection criteria: Each stream has its own distinct selection criteria. Make certain that you’re conversant in the criteria for your stream: AINP Opportunity, AINP Express Entry, or AINP Farmer.
- Evaluate the language test requirements: it’s necessary for you to demonstrate proficiency in either English or French by taking one of the approved language tests for Canadian immigration.
- Follow the instructions laid out on the AINP website: Applicants through the opportunity and Express Entry streams must apply using the AINP Online Portal. For the newest eligibility requirements and application procedures, you may need to refer to the AINP government website.
If you loved this content, do well to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get updates and engage with other people like you who wish to immigrate to Canada or just immigrated to Canada.